Global 6K Walk for Water
May 25 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Every step you take is one they don’t have to!
Click this link to get started. Jump to the Circle YXE team page
You can immediately start raising money for kids like Cheru.
Once you are on the Circle YXE Team Page you can JOIN OUR TEAM by clicking on the blue Join Team button and then you can set up your personal page to raise money with your friends and family. All the money we raise on each of our pages goes toward the Circle YXE team goal of $5000 raised for Water.
Or you if you know you aren’t able to do that, you can make a donation to help our team in that way.
Every $50 you raise through Team World Vision will transform a person’s LIFE through clean, safe water.
This year, we are supporting water programs in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Menkao is a largely rural community on the outskirts of the capital city of Kinshasa. The community has few natural springs, and has suffered from a lack of investments in infrastructure. Our goal is to improve the lives of 13,834 people through access to clean water, and improved sanitation and hygiene facilities.
Only 55 percent of the population in Menkao has access to clean water, and only 15 percent can collect water within 30 minutes’ walk of their home. Women and girls, some very young, will walk for up to three hours to get water. This negatively affects their ability to work or go to school. The long trek on isolated paths also increases the risk of abuse and rape.
What you are supporting this year:
World Vision is working with the community to change this situation. Together, our goals are to:
- Construct four wells with water treatment and distribution systems.
- Establish water management committees to ensure the sustainability of the new water systems.
- Train 10 community member on manual and electric pump repair.
- Construct washroom blocks in three schools. The new washrooms will be accessible to children with disabilities, and will have private spaces to accommodate girls who are menstruating.
- Construct hand-washing stations for each latrine.